4 Must-Have Items for Your First Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a beautiful, magical time in your life as you prepare for the miraculous, momentous occasion known as childbirth… is a lie they tell you when you’re feeling bloated, gassy, and altogether uncomfortable.
It’s not that pregnancy isn’t beautiful and miraculous, but it certainly doesn’t always feel that way when you’re in the throes of it. Stock up with these four must-have items for a slightly more magical (and less uncomfortable) nine months.
#1 Comfy Maternity Clothes
When your belly starts to swell, all you really want to do is throw on your comfiest pair of sweatpants and never take them off. Unfortunately, that’s not exactly an option when you’re working during your pregnancy—okay, it’s an option, just maybe not the most professional one.
Stock up on maternity clothes and gadgets that make you feel like you’re lounging around the house, even when you’re at your office desk:
- Leggings – If dogs are a man’s best friend, then leggings are a woman’s, For the record, dogs are also women’s best friend, but that’s neither here nor there. With the right outfit, a pair of classic black leggings can still come off as professional, while affording you all the comfort in the world.
- Waistline and bra extenders – Purchasing a whole new maternity wardrobe is expensive. Instead, you can get waistline extenders for the pants you already own and a bra band extender for your favorite brassieres.
- Underwear – As your body changes, your current underwear may start to ride up or bunch in uncomfortable places. A new pack of under-the-bump maternity underwear will provide all the comfort of a granny panty without, well, having to wear granny panties.
Added bonus: you can shop for these online, so for now, you actually don’t need to get off the couch or out of those uber-comfy sweatpants.
#2 Pregnancy Pillow
Good sleep is important at the best of times. When you’re pregnant, it’s your only real chance to rest and recharge after a long day of carrying around a tiny, growing human.
Ensure you get the best sleep possible with a clinically-tested pregnancy pillow. This sleep positioning device is designed to reduce nighttime acid reflux—sort of like a body pillow, but to alleviate gastrointestinal discomfort rather than run-of-the-mill loneliness.
#3 Belly Bands
Think of a belly band—or tummy sleeve—like pregnancy Spanx, except they’re all about comfort rather than appearance. They have the added bonus of smoothing lines and concealing any unbuttoned pre-pregnancy jeans that you just can’t let go of, but more importantly, they offer unprecedented support and functionality:
- They alleviate lower back strain and pain by lifting and redistributing your belly weight.
- They’re breathable and moisture-wicking to maintain comfort in the aftermath of any untimely pregnancy sweats.
- They encourage proper posture by enforcing correct spinal alignment.
- They stretch as you grow to guarantee their longevity throughout the various stages of pregnancy.
#4 Morning Sickness Relief
Even people who know nothing about pregnancy know about morning sickness. We’ve all seen that scene in the movie where the woman vomits in the bathroom at work and suddenly realizes, oh my gosh, I’m pregnant! You can’t even name the specific movie because it happens in literally every single one.
Those women are just acting, but for you, morning sickness is very, very real.
In addition to taking soothing morning sickness lozenges, you can also set yourself up for success with a few simple lifestyle adjustments:
- Eat small portions throughout the day. Both large meals and not eating can exacerbate nausea.
- Avoid pungent odors, even the “good” ones. This includes strong perfume, garlic and other cooking ingredients, and definitely the garbage or compost—sorry hubby, I can’t take out the trash! It triggers my morning sickness!
- Stick to a high-protein, high-carb, low-fat diet while avoiding greasy, spicy, and gas-inducing foods—your seven-layer bean dip will just have to wait.
It’ll All Be Worth It Soon Enough
Pregnancy has its ups and downs, just like life, but it’s only temporary. Focus on what’s ahead—your first-born child—and all the rest will seem worth it, especially when you’ve gifted yourself a pregnancy pillow, belly band, and the world’s comfiest maternity clothes.